Tuesday, 29 July 2008

A quote from: Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

"So that's how we live our lives. No matter how deep and fatal the loss, no matter how important the thing that's stolen from us - that's snatched right out of our hands - even if we are left completely changed people with only the outer layer of skin from before, we continue to play out our lives this way, in silence. We draw ever nearer to our allotted span of time, bidding it farewell as it trails off behind. Repeating, often adroitly, the endless deeds of the everyday. Leaving behind a feeling of immeasurable emptiness."

6 comments:

Michael Morco said...

I haven't read any of Murakami's books yet (although I believe I have one of his books), makes me want to start already. Thanks!

ALPHABETICALIFE said...

I started with the novel "A Wild Sheep Chase" back in 2002 and I fell in love ever since. Even did my undergraduate thesis on Mr. Murakami. Enjoy!

Michael Morco said...

Mentioned this item in my post about The Wind-up Bird Chronicle: http://lifeinreceipts.blogspot.com/2008/09/wind-up-bird-chronicle-by-haruki.html
I'm just wondering if you found the reason for Kumiko's leaving Toru as vague as I did. I can't understand what Noboru actually did to her.

ALPHABETICALIFE said...

Murakami says that sometimes it's better when things are left unexplained. He wants his readers to create their own meaning to his works. So perhaps your guess is as good as mine. :-)

magda o said...

i like your blog.


hi.

ALPHABETICALIFE said...

magda o:
Hello! Thank you very much. :-)

ShareThis